Welcome to "Adventures in Lead", a blog dedicated to the hobby of miniature wargaming. The figures and terrain on this site are mainly for a campaign set in exotic "Indostan", a distant land bearing remarkable similarities to 18th century India during the Seven Years War. Bits and pieces from other projects may pop up here as well from time to time, including colonials, gladiators, pirates, dinosaur-hunting and even some RPG'ing.
The actual campaign journal and after action reports for the Indostan campaign can be found on their own blog - "Indostan: The Jewel in the Crown", the link to which is found by clicking the small image below-left.
If you do find anything remotely interesting on this blog please leave a comment, it's what keeps these sites going and their authors motivated - Thanks for looking.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Purple Indostani Regulars

Here is a small unit, of what I am dubbing, Indostani Regulars. This "uniformed" force is meant to represent Indostanis that have received European training and are capable of fighting as a cohesive unit with some skill. I chose marching figures for the entire group to help define their uniformity, as well I painted them all the same color. I hope to do 12 more purple matchlockmen, to form two Sharp Practice groups, or if you prefer, a half company. (Click the images to enlarge)
The command figures.


The mounted officer.

The class photo.
These were all painted with mostly acrylic house paints and Army Painter. I don't consider myself a painter at all (and rarely enjoy the chore), but I'm happy with these. Army Painter  is very forgiving and gives me a good confidence boost. I think it has helped me to improve my painting skills. I thoroughly recommend it to all other mediocre painters out there. Kevin Dallimore eat your heart out!

9 comments:

  1. Whatever you say about your painting skills those are some well painted figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very impressive and well painted unit.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you can't say you're not a good painter with these models. They look great. An interesting subject to focus on. I looked into 1/72 early colonial Indian figs after reading Cornwell's Sharpe in India books, but then got distracted by other subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others, your painting is far better than you give credit. Very inspiring figs. Out of curiousity, what is the source for the palm trees in the background of the photos? The trunks have a very nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else. These really are figures (and painting) to be proud of. A beautiful unit.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the encouraging words, it is much appreciated.
    irishserb: The palms are from http://stores.ebay.com.au/everydaygoodz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look fantastic, mate. I've got some Indians (of the Red variety) that I've been wary of putting paint to. I reckon I'll give the army painter a go as the idea of highlighting every little bit of detail on them has been what's kept them on the shelf for at least 3 years now.

    I'll be reading you blog with interest. I took the plunge into SYW skirmish gaming and after deliberating over the various theatres (America, Europe and India) I decided on Western Europe. I nearly went for India and hope to head over that way eventually, though. Thank you for the inspiring posts.

    Adam
    goldensuninn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete